Video: Would you leave a key in your front door lock when leaving your house, your garage door might be its equivalent.
In the basement of a home from the mid 1800’s there was a heath hazard that no one noticed. Buyers, the current owner who had purchased that home six months ago, real estate agents and our clients all walked past this piece of pipe as they anxiously looked for potential issues with the house. The […]
When you hear it said that bathrooms can be unsafe you might not think that a half ton of steel would be the answer. But bathrooms can be one of the most dangerous places in a home, with a multitude of potential hazards. Starting with tiled floors which can become slippery when wet to the […]
Video explains highlights that manufacturers installation instructions are rarely followed which poses a safety issue. The most important fastener in the one in the hinge.
Many properties particularly in rural areas are on well water, which is not a problem in itself. A new well will have a submersible pump that is down in the well shaft, older wells will often have a “jet pump” which will be located at the pressure tank (in the house of a well pit) […]
Video of asbestos pipe insulation on a hydroponic (water) or steam boiler heating system. Asbestos can be dangerous to your health if fibers are disturbed, often found in buildings buildings from the fifty’s and older on heating and hot water plumbing pipes.
Looking at the “floor” of an attic in an older house that was insulated between 1919 and the late 50’s you might see a granular material with a silver/ whitish colors where you expected to see fiberglass insulation. If you are looking at buying or are living in a home with this stuff you need […]
Video of garage doors with the old style springs to the side of the tracks. These pose a danger if they fail and snap. A safety wire must be inserted into the center of the spring to hold it in place. These inexpensive safety wires are available at any store that sells overhead doors for […]
Don’t eat off of it! This DIY project has all the right look of a farmhouse table. Unfortunately the top is made of treated fence pickets which contain harmful chemicals that you don’t want on your skin, let alone on food and utensils. We see a lot of beautiful furniture and updates that are made […]
Assuming it’s a small leak, one that’s hard to smell, the first thing to do is turn off the gas to the unit. There is supposed to be a shut off valve within six feet of and in the same room as any gas appliance. Turn this off and you should be good. Furnaces and […]
In life I have discovered that it’s a good policy never to assume that something works, that the door is locked, that you have your ticket and passport in your backpack as you head to the airport. Over the last 20 years of inspecting homes, offices, hotels and everything else from Chinese restaurants to schools, […]
Video: Furnace must have a disconnect switch and not always where you think it might be.
The lovely big new windows installed in this remodeled house “passed” the five point test to determine if they must be made with safety glass. Safety glass required when window meets all 5 requirements: 1) is less than 18″ from floor2) top of glass is more than 36″ above floor3) sash glass exceeds 9 sq […]
Video of: Remodeling around the furnace or water heater can cause all sorts of problems for someone who is not familiar with the instillation and operation of the equipment in their home.