BEFORE YOU GO CLEANING GUTTERS and carrying ladders around you should perform a safety check. Look to see where your electrical service comes in. If it is to a roof mast or attached to the side of your home, take a look at the electrical connection between the power company wire and the wire from the house.
The connection should not be like the left wire in the photo where a metal connector is visible. The connection should be insulated (like the wire splice on the right) to prevent anyone or anything coming in contact with the splice becoming live and causing an electrical shock or worse still electrocution.
NOTE: In most cases the power company is responsible for maintaining this splice,
if it is not insulated call them ASAP.
Touching this exposed live 120 volt splice with your hand, head or ladder could prove fatal.
Be safe over the holidays.
Leave a Reply