These old fuse boxes in a beautifully built asbestos lined oak cabinet were a big step up from the single exposed wall mounted fuse.
These boxes were the forerunner to the breaker panels of today. The asbestos lining was used to contain any sparks or fire in the fuse box. Those were the days before we all realized that mesothelioma from asbestos probably posed a far greater health risk than the chance of fire.
This panel was a 240 volt, 60 amp service with 10 “knob & tube” wiring circuits.
This fuse box located on the second floor of a beautifully restored house in Springfield just off south Limestone street is no longer in use, but has been left in place for its historic value. It was located on the second floor to reduce the amount of wiring needed in the home
Leave a Reply