If you suspect that there may be a carbon monoxide leak or build up, open the doors and windows immediately to ventilate the house.
Shut down the heating and hot water heater if they are gas or oil.
Have everyone leave the house, and get outside for fresh air. Anyone feeling unwell complaining of headaches, nausea, lack of concentration or rapid heartbeats should be taken to hospital immediately. Particularly the young or elderly. This is very important!
Call the utility company or your heating contractor immediately to have the home’s heating system checked for the presence of carbon monoxide.
Do not re-enter the house until you are certain that there is no longer a problem.
Have the heating system and chimney or flue checked and serviced if necessary. Do this before turning the heating system back on.